Published Oct. 21, 2013
The College of Charleston’s board of trustees has named a search committee to replace outgoing President George Benson.
The 13-member committee, which includes trustees, alumni, the student government president, and faculty and staff members, will be working with national search firm AGB Search, the college said in a news release.
Board Chairman Greg Padgett expects the position will be advertised in November with finalists invited to campus in February.
In August, Benson announced he would be stepping down as president at the end of June 2014. He also said he plans to return to the classroom and teach in the college’s School of Business, where he has been a tenured professor since 2007.
“I am grateful that these members of our community have agreed to take on this very significant responsibility,” Padgett said in the news release. “I expect there will be many outstanding candidates for the college’s presidency. I am highly confident that, working together, this committee will identify distinguished and qualified finalists as part of a thorough, fair, and inclusive search process.”
College of Charleston Presidential Search Committee
- Chuck Baker, alumni association president
- John Busch, trustee
- Lynn Cherry, faculty member
- Demetria Clemons, trustee
- Frank Gadsden, board of trustees secretary
- Otto German, athletics compliance coordinator
- Jordan Hensley, SGA president
- Sharon Kingman, foundation board chairman
- Lee Mikell, vice chair of board of trustees
- Greg Padgett, chairman of board of trustees and search committee
- Dan Ravenel, trustee
- Jeff Schilz, trustee
- Steve Swanson, co-chairman of the College of Charleston’s Comprehensive Fundraising Campaign