By Andy Owens
Published March 25, 2013
Business Journal photographer Leslie Burden won a first-place award for this photo taken during the rollout of the first 787 made in South Carolina.
Graphic designer Jean Piot also won first place for an informational graphic comparing the state’s peaches to products and symbols in other states.
Reporter Matt Tomsic won first place for a feature story in SCBIZ magazine about a philanthropist that mentored a group of students from kindergarten through graduation and offered to pay for their college.
Tomsic also won second place for an investigation into homeowners associations foreclosing on property owners for unpaid dues in the Charleston area.
Creative director Ryan Wilcox won second place for an informational graphic comparing BMWs made in South Carolina to the Boeing 787.
The Business Journal is part of the SC Biz News group of publications. Across the state, SC Biz News publications came away with 11 awards in the associate member category. This is the first year SC Biz News has been a member of the press association.
Other winners include:
- SCBIZ magazine, first place, best magazine.
- Columbia Regional Business Report, first place, Jim Hammond, best opinion column.
- GSA Business, second place, best newspaper.
- Lake Wylie Today, third place, best magazine.
- GSA Business, third place, Scott Miller, best opinion column.
- GSA Business, third place, S. Kevin Greene, best graphic design.